The Young Women in our ward began a Book of Mormom read-a-thon today. They began at around 1:00 p.m. and will end sometime tomorrow afternoon. I don't take Macie to a lot of YW activities because they usually don't start until 7:00, and she goes to bed around 7:30. If it is a special one, we will, but otherwise I keep her home because she gets too tired and cranky the next day.
One of her leaders reminded me of the activity on Sunday, and said I should really try and bring her, even if only for a little while. I said ok, but I thought to myself: "she will be bored just listening to them read and she doesn't understand it". I kept thinking about it though, so I decided we'd come over for an hour or so and then go.
I brought her in the house and all the girls were spread out like a slumber party. Everyone had blankets and pillows, and were listening to the reader. It wasn't totally quiet, there was some whispering, but those girls were definately there for a purpose. I sat with her for a minute, and then left for about an hour and a half. They had lots of snacks, and were going to take breaks every hour or so, and jump on the tramp. I knew Macie would love that.
I ran an errand, and oddly enough couldn't find anything else to do, so I went back to the activity. I brought in my scriptures, (and Gabby of course) and sat down. It sounds kinda funny, but I wanted to be there with them, listening, learning with a pure feeling in my heart.
I read for them for awhile, and then listened. The girls were probably wondering why I was still there, but I didn't want to leave yet. Pizza was coming soon, and Macie knew it, so I told her we would stay until then.
The pizza got eaten, and still Macie wanted to stay. So I left with Gabby, and told her I would come back when Dad got home. Gabby needed food and sleep immediately!
When I came back she was snuggled in with the girls eating a sucker, with a huge smile. I was sad to tell her to come home.
One of her leaders came to the car with me and told me she was grateful that I brought her. She said; "the girls need her in their lives, they learn from her".
I felt so dumb and selfish. I have never thought about that before. A lot of times I don't think she'll like the activity, or she won't understand it, so why bring her?
Well this was a lesson for me. #1. Macie loved being with the girls.
#2. She didn't understand the scriptures, but she understood the feeling of acceptance and love from those girls.
#3. She has a lot to give and teach people, and I need to let her.
Macie came home talking about the coloring she did, the PIZZA, the chocolate cake and her friends. She had a great day, and I'm going to make sure I allow her the opportunity to have many more.
10 comments:
That is so neat. I am so glad you took her, that is a big step for you as well. I am glad you two are getting along. You two are going to continue to grow together. You are doing an awesome job with her! Never doubt that! I love you! I am posting under Kennedy's name, but its me!
Yeah for you...can you believe the stuff we learn from our kids? Crazy!
I learn something every day with my kids. I also having these feelings when I just don't want to go to church thinking the kids are cranky and their teachers wouldn't want them there anyway. It is always those days that their teachers tell me something wonderful they did and I think what if I didn't go? You are just what she needs and she is just what you need. The Lord is a very smart man and he knows what he is doing when he puts people together.
TAMI!! That is so true that Macie can teach people. That is so neat and I'm so glad you took her and it was a good experience. It's the same with letting people serve us- it's usually not for us but for them. Awesome experience, thanks for sharing!
Tami,
You know I am so thankful for you for being Macie's Mom. Your blog is so special it makes me feel like I am right there seeing Macie grow and experiencing the things she does. I can just see my daughter in heaven with a huge smile on her face knowing that Macie is taken care of (which was her greatest fear!) Macie is so lucky to have you, her little sister and Todd. Thanks again for letting me still be part of her life. I really do love you for that.
Susan
Macie is definitely a special spirit and can touch many lives. The great big smiles and laughs that she shares, even with a stranger makes you wish we all had a little Macie in us. When I was young I can remember being very uncomfortable around kids who were different from me, especially developmentally challenged. I think it's a great thing to have her mingling with her peers...it's true, it's they who will learn. They're learn to love and respect not only her, but all who have her challenges.
And...might I add...I may be a little partial, but I'm very proud of my daughter for taking on this challenge and helping Macie be and do as much as she can on this earth.
Todd, Tami, Macie, Gabrielle...you're a beautiful family and I'm proud to be your Mom (and Grandma!!)
Thank you for your comment...and he is doing better tonight. I hope he improves good tomorrow and can come home by Saturday...we'll see...Thank you...I love you!
I really wish they would have done something like that when I was a Young Woman!! I think that is a great thing for the girls! I am glad that the girls are so accepting to Macy and that she enjoys it! You are doing a great job! I really look up to you...you are a great mom and a great person altogether! I love you and miss you!!(I have no doubt that Macy has a lot to offer to those girls!)
okay, you got me all choked up!! i love that you could soak up that wonderful day with her! that's such an endearing moment in life!
I know I'm late but I've thought a lot about this post. I'm glad you learned something about yourself and about Macie. Our girls really do need to know her and they will always remember her and be grateful for what she taught them. Good for you.
I loved reading your comments. I'm glad you have so many people in your life that appreciate you.
Post a Comment