"Where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day." That is a line from a country song regarding 9/11. It is a truly beautiful song by Alan Jackson.
I was watching "The View" this morning while I was putting on my make-up. They started discussing where they each were when the terrorist attack happened. For some reason it hadn't even occurred to me what day it was.
It has been seven years since that day, and while I was listening to the ladies on TV, I still cried. It seems so weird to me that I could be so far "physically" from the attack, know no one that experienced it, and still it touches me so deeply.
I got into my car that morning, and needed gas. As I was driving to the gas station, I heard the radio guy describing a situation. These guys were always pulling tricks, making people do crazy things for prizes, and misleading people to make them look silly. (Of course I liked them!) He was talking about the Twin Towers being hit, mass confusion, fires and hurt people. As I listened, I thought whatever they are talking about, this isn't funny. Someone could really think they were telling the truth. This could be scary to people. They've gone too far.
As I kept driving to work, I realized that he was not joking, and this wasn't a game. I remember the exact place on I215 when it hit me. I was scared. I called my dad, and then my mom.
I worked within 15 minutes from the airport, so there were always planes flying overhead. Not that day. It felt so weird.
I worked within 15 minutes from the airport, so there were always planes flying overhead. Not that day. It felt so weird.
I remember wondering about, and praying for the families. I remember feeling then and now so awed by the people on United flight 93. What courage and selflessness.
In 2006 I went to New York with a couple of my girlfriends. We visited ground zero. It was a very somber place. Lots of construction and noise, yet at the same time oddly quiet. I took these pictures of a couple of the murals made from families of those that were killed.
In 2006 I went to New York with a couple of my girlfriends. We visited ground zero. It was a very somber place. Lots of construction and noise, yet at the same time oddly quiet. I took these pictures of a couple of the murals made from families of those that were killed.
Where were you?




4 comments:
That was a reflective post. We were living in Dublin (near pleasanton)
Mark was suppose to leave the day before for a business meeting in Washington DC but it got cancelled so he was home that morning. We woke up to a phone call from Mark's sister in Utah telling us to turn on the TV. We sat all morning actually all day watching the news, sad, depressed and in a state of shock and worry. That's where I was
Wow! It is so weird to think that it has been 7 years. Ben worked for Delta but his scedule didn't start until 3pm. his mom came down to us in a panic and told us to turn the tv on. I remember how sick I felt all day long and how many times I cried watching the news for the next couple of weeks. Everywhere you went the feeling in the air was the same sad, somber feeling. What a horrible time!
I wasn't working at the time, in between jobs after a lay off. Tami called from her phone and said that the towers had been hit and of course I thought it was some sort of terrible accident. I remember sitting on the couch all day just glued to the television. I couldn't even imagine what I would have done had it happened to me or my family. One of the scenes that haunted me was the people running down the streets to get away from the dust and flying debris. It was very surreal...like an old horror movie. It will always be a sobering time to remember. I hope we never forget!
we were living in livermore, i was pregnant with the twins (before i even knew it was twins), it was amanda's 1st day of preschool, and ben's 2nd week of pre-k. i was so happy about my cute little family, but so scared for and sad for those families. i kept wishing it was a bad dream - that's what i usually like to do when something bad happens.
Post a Comment