I've never been much of a book reader. Off and on I'd read some mystery novel, but I was never really that into it. I never had to have a book. My parents read from time to time, but there was one woman I knew who absolutely lived to read! Her name was Jeanne. She was my best friends mom. She was my back-up mom. She always had a book. I don't remember which ones in particular, but I know she loved romance. One of my fondest memories is of her going into the bathroom, either for the normal reason, or to take a bath, and because the door wouldn't lock, she would open the drawer in front of the door so the kids couldn't get in. She had 8 of them. She would lock herself in for a few minutes at a time to get away from the craziness, and escape to someplace else. I love thinking of her hiding from us! I hope in heaven, she is finding a little time to still read.
A few years back I read the Da Vinci Code, and absolutely loved it. I then read the other 3 books by Dan Brown. (Deception Point, Digital Fortress and Angels and Demons) I thoroughly enjoyed all the books because they are not predictable. I don't like being able to guess the plot.
Since then, probably for 3 or 4 years, I haven't really read anything. My mom told me about the Stephanie Meyers books, so I tried them. Even though I am a girl, and love romance in real life, I don't like reading romantic books or watching lovey movies. I've always been more of an action girl. I was skeptical, but dove in anyway.

I just finished Breaking Dawn, I know, I'm probably the last one on the planet.
Wow. I think I understand why people love to read now. If the writer is good enough, they can take you into a whole different world. I found myself wondering about the characters, imagining their life, and trying to predict their outcome.
I think I'm a little emotional right now, so don't mock me too much. I just feel this gigantic sense of peace and happiness after reading this series. I consider myself a fairly creative person, but I could not even fathom writing such unbelievably realistic, loving, action filled, heart pounding and incredibly deep stories as these.
Thank you Stephanie Meyers for teaching me that reading is fantastic. I hope to pass this on to my children, just as Jeanne passed it onto hers. If you haven't read these books.... GET ON IT!
4 comments:
WAHOOOOOOO! You finished!!!
We are now officially "true readers"!!!!!
I am so proud of both of you!! That is my favorite story to tell, but I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...thats were I read all 4 books...well actually all my books get read in the bathroom. Jim hates it when I have a book to read, since the bathroom is in our room, oh well!! I was sad when I finished Breaking Dawn, now I don't know what to do!! Love you!
I love that memory!! PS you are not the last...I have not read any of them yet! My hubby however is almost done with the 4th!
You are officially NOT the last one to read #4. I have read the other three, but haven't made it to the last. I'm wondering how you liked it! Do tell!
If you need something to keep you motivated to read, here are two of my recent favorites: These Is My Words by Nancy Turner (seriously, you will NOT regret reading it. I haven't met anyone that didn't LOVE it.) and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Both totally worthwhile. I don't have 8 kids (although I'm working on it :)) but the drawer trick is totally going to come in handy!
Post a Comment