Now as most of you know, I'm not an expert on this subject, mostly because I don't have any. So, one might get the impression that I don't know very much about them. "One" might be mistaken. Even though I do not have blood sisters that my mother gave birth to on this earth, I actually have many.
I have 6 that grew up 5 houses away from me. The oldest was my best friend, and all the other ones were annoying....at that time. A short example:
When I would go to their home, it was fairly chaotic sometimes. My friend and I would go outside on the trampoline (usually at night) to escape from all the little ones. When they would come out and want to jump and hang out with us, we would tell them that no one under 12 was allowed on the tramp, and anyone younger could be eaten by the monsters on the grass around the tramp. They would cry and run back to house for safety of course, and we would remain happily outside ALONE! (They, much to our dismay, remember these evil activities and have received extensive counseling on the subject.)
Now that they've all grown up, I love, absolutely love to be with every single one of them. They are the closest thing I have to real sisters.
I have 3 sisters at my old job in Utah. I spent 10 years working with them. You spend more time at work then you do at home, awake, so you get to know people. I consider these women my friends, my mentors, my sisters. They are honest, loving, truly good people and I love them.
I believe I have 7 or 8 other sisters in Utah, that I met at work, or in my ward.
I believe I have 4 that I've met here in California. Wow, was it hard to find friends here. It was much harder to be away from my sisters in Utah than I ever thought. I wasn't quite the "lone wolf" I thought I was. But once you find them...life is so much better.
I have 2 beautiful daughters. Macie is 14 yrs old, and Gabby is 7 and a half months.
When we first brought Gabby home, Macie didn't really want much to do with her. (What fun is a little lump that doesn't talk anyway!)
As the months go by, Macie spends more and more time by her sisters' side. She gives her her binkie, toys and her bottle when she drops it.
She laughs and talks with her, and lots of times just watches her. I wonder so many times if Macie knows things about Gabby that we don't, and vice versa. They seem to have such a connection already. Gabby looks up at her and just smiles. Her eyes light up and she knows that's her sister.
I love that connection... I love knowing they're going to be there for each other. I love knowing that each of them has someone besides Todd and I who will always be on their side. I love that they're sisters.
I'm sure in the future they will get on each other's nerves, and probably fight. But in the long run they will be forever connected to one another.
I love my sisters so much, and feel very lucky to have them, but I also love that my daughters have each other... real sisters. Which ever kind of sister you have....love em!

5 comments:
You are awesome! I love all your entries. I love the tramp story, they loved us back then! Good thing we made up for it! Love you doll!
You guys were so mean! I am suprised that I grew up normal...between the tramp monster and the "you can play cards with us if you can figure out how!!!" Seriously...good thing I love you!!!
Thank goodness for the 6 sisters and 2 brothers up the street...and for their Mom, who allowed you to be one of them!!! I was always sad that you had to be an only child, but thankfully, it really didn't end up that way. I love them for that...and other things as well.
And...while you're thinking about sisters...don't ever forget your Dad and Allen singing "Sisters" in the talent show!!! That's a sight (and sound) that should be emblazed in your mind!!!!!
Thank goodness it happened in your adult life...so as not to damage you!!!!
Love you....Mom
Oh Steph! I really never thought in a million years you would remember all those things we did to you and your sisters. Of course, at the time, I didn't realize how mean we were either! I love you!
You know I love you!! It didn't harm me all that much because I still love you guys...right!!! Just made me realize that I know the reason I am not very good at card games still to this day! (we were pains in the butt though!!!)
Post a Comment