Memorial Day. A day to remember all those who have gone before us, especially those who have died in the service of our country. I am so greatful for those men and women who risk their lives daily for us.
My father served in the Vietnam war. He experienced things with his fellow soldiers that men are not supposed to. The human body is not designed to go through such tragic, and gruesome things. Your mind changes, it has to, to survive. Some souls don't come back from it. The lucky ones do. My dad, like countless others, watched his friends get shot and sometimes killed. He was shot in the leg, and got Maleria while in Vietnam. He received the Purple Heart. He never talked about the war. The few things I do know about it, I asked him specifically. I was always so proud that he was in the war. Any time the subject came up I always told people what he did, with great pride. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if he knew that.
If you've experienced the loss of someone in your life, you know that you don't need a specific day to remember them though. We think about them always. Sometimes you wish you could just forget for a little while, to make it easier.
My dad didn't die in a war, but he died just the same. He died fighting a losing battle with his body. During his sickness he overcame things he shouldn't have, just like in the war, and kept going. I've never witnessed such fighting for life.
I look at life different now. I hold onto it tighter. I cry more, whether because I'm happy or sad. I try to tell people how I feel about them. I say thank you more. I try to be better.
There is a song on my blog called "Let go now Daddy". Oddly enough, this describes my life with my father almost exactly. The only difference is I was on the phone in California, not in his hospital bed telling him to let go. It is a beautiful, touching song, that makes me cry. I miss him so much.



8 comments:
Wow, Tami. That was an awesome and touching post. I'm so glad you are writing real stuff about real things. Your Dad sounds like a terrific guy.
Tami, I love this. Dad would love to be remembered on this day. His military experience was important to him and I know he loves you for remembering it and respecting it. His fight at the end was even a bigger fight than the war, and even though he didn't stay with us, he'll always be a hero in my eyes. I love you.
Tami, that is so sweet. I cannot imagine what men go through in war but I'm so glad they do it for us! I bet it's been so hard having your dad gone. It is a good reminder to me to be better to mine while he's still with us!
Tam, I miss him so much!! I love that picture of him. I was not expecting to see a picture of him, that was awesome! He was an amazing man. Yes you made me cry. Love you!
Okay I probably wasn't ready to read that after just having a baby! I love you and I miss your dad so much too! I am glad that you wrote this...thanks Tam! I love you!!
Your Mom told me to see this. You always had a way with words! I will show Grandma McWain, she will cry too! Your girls are beautiful! Gabby looks just like you but she has your dad's cheeks! We love you and miss you, hope to see all of you soon.
Love Aunt Cathy
Thank you for writing this! It was a good thing for you to do, though it may have been hard. I had no idea that he was in the war, so I learned some new things today! That is such a sweet picture of him, too!
♥♥Kennedy♥♥
Ok I didn't see this until today and I love how poetic you are. What an honor it is to him. I love him and think of him always and the kids just saw that and said "that's pop's"! I love to think of all the people that are getting to know and call him that! Great people go on to do great things and I truly believe he is one of the greats!
Post a Comment